Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Veges

It's been wonderful to start the vege gardens and to watch the seedlings grow almost on a daily basis. We've planted bok choy, silverbeet, tomatoes, lettuce, salad greens, strawberries, cucumbers, butternut pumkin and a bunch of herbs: various basils, mint, coriander, parsely and rosemary.

I've also started to set up a straw bale system where straw bales (or in this case, hay bales) are prepared by soaking them with water for a number of days and adding blood and bone and then some pockets of planting mix are dug into the top of each bale into which I'll plant a seedling. Looking forward to seeing how they go/grow.

I've also been germinating a bunch of olde stylee veges from seeds I bought from Eden Seeds and this has had mixed results. The main problem has been mice which eat the growing tips of the seedlings. I've got some tomatoes and a couple of other trays of seedlings though which should be ready for planting out in the next week.

No comments: