Sunday, February 22, 2009

pests and pestilence

You really have to keep an eye on the spitfire caterpillars at the moment...they have been chowing down on some young calistemons, an illawarra flame tree and the prickly lime. I had an afternoon of spitfire squashing today. By the way I took the pic from Google images - I can't claim any credit for the image. They are beautiful if destructive little beasts.

I've also been puzzled by what had been eating a grape vine planted near the garage. I hadn't realised that it had most of its leaves chewed off by a rat. I had been noticing that what I suspectd to be a rat had been chewing on my butternut pumpkins and my cherry tomatoes but hadn't realised that it had also been making dolmades as well.

But all was revealed today when Steve cleaned out the garage and discovered a rat's nest similar to that below with mummy rat and about 10 rat pups, together with more than a dozen of my cherry tomatoes. Steve dealt with the rats himself! He's such a farmer these days that he'll probably be up to castrating lambs with his teeth next.



No comments: