Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Sadness

The more observant of you will be thinking...hmmm that carpet python looks like it could be in the chookery (correct) and it seems to have quite a substantial bulge in its serpentine belly (correct). Unfortunately, our once-python proof chookery is not so python-proof anymore. Our friend (and my colleague) Mieke gave us two gorgeous little Belgian bantams a couple of months ago which she had bred on her farm. I noticed that one was missing on Monday when I came home from work and I thought that a goanna that we had seen on Sunday might have got her, or perhaps a hawk or eagle had taken her. I hoped of course that she would turn up, Lassie-like, the next morning. However, Steve made the sighting of the python on Tuesday...with the bulge...but it's a beautiful animal...this is the python I blogged about last February after I found it down by the creek, digesting a bandicoot...Shane and I saw it again a few months ago sunning itself on McGuinness Road as well...

2 comments:

Louise said...

Oh that's so very sad. What do you do with the python now? Leave it there? It won't feed for a while I suppose. But then it won't be able to get out with that big dinner on board will it? How do you python proof a chook yard?

Dr. Mieke said...

Awwww, that's sad. But that's nature. I have no more young bantam hens left at the moment, though hopefully there's a last late brood hatching in about 3 weeks ...
I can supply either a lovely black mottle cockerel, or a silver/blue, who might make some bubbas with your remaining hen though, if you like.
(my secret mission: reinvigorate the flagging genetic diversity of the average home flock... see for example http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80beats/2008/11/04/lack-of-genetic-diversity-in-the-chicken-coop-could-worsen-bird-flu-outbreaks/)