Monday, March 25, 2013

Snakey Stuff

Larnook has been snake central over the past week or so. I was down the bottom paddock giving it a good Rogering two weeks ago when I saw the grass move very deliberately ahead of Roger. Expecting to see a big toad, I slowed Roger right down and was blown away and delighted to see a large rough scaled snake close to a metre long slither out from the grass to traverse the mown strip before disappearing into the longer grass near the creek.
I can't really tell you how lucky I feel to share our place with roughies. They have been a favourite snake of mine ever since I saw my very first one curled amongst the smooth rocks in Allyn River when I was on an end of year school camp in 1979. It was a huge yet placid one and I have not seen a bigger one since. However, I used to go searching for them at night with a mate, Theo, up in the same area, and I can recall seeing one slithering around the edge of a small pond one night with my friend, Andy. And, now I have them on my own place.  Such a thrill, though they are quite toxic.
Then, we have had two python sightings in two days. The first was a very healthy looking carpet in our shed,  just under two metres I guess in length while the second was a bigger carpet that Shane found in the garage. Thankfully, neither has decided to give the Chookery a go!

1 comment:

Louise said...

It seems to the non-snakey of us that Larnook is snake central all the time!