Sunday, May 12, 2013

My next projects


 Project 1: Planting this bank with Grevilleas. We've progressively planted this bank that runs along our eastern fenceline and McGuinness Road with Grevilleas and other natives and I want to continue going down the road replacing this grass with a more biodiverse habitat. This will mean brushcutting the grass down and then planting a bunch of young plants. Keeping water up to them in the dry late winter and early spring will be tough.
 Project 2: Regenerating the streamside vegetation down along Hanging Rock (Leycester) Creek. First task will be to get these climbing viney weeds under control. As you can see here they go right up to the crown of the casuarinas that are growing down here and they can really cause lots of problems. I think we should be able to chop this vine using an axe and applying some roundup with a paint brush to the stems.
 And then it will be a slow matter of beginning to plant young trees down along the creek, both in the flood prone zone that you can see in this photo...
and the higher, drier areas down near Martins Road along the western border of our property. I went for a drive upstream today to see if I could work out what kinds of trees and shrubs I should plant down along our creek and have some ideas but I don't know what most of the trees and shrubs are. I want to create a stream-side forest that will improve the wildlife habitat of our place and act as a wildlife corridor. It will be a battle of course against the weeds that grow down here but if I start now I should at least see some reasonable progress over the next ten years or so that we will be here.  I was spurred into doing this after reading a scientific paper on carpet pythons in this region and how important riparian, that is stream side vegetation is as habitat for this and other species.
So both these projects will be ones that our next lots of HelpXers can provide lots of assistance to.  I shall keep you posted on progress.

2 comments:

David Once of Newcastle said...

Reminds me of the myth of Sisyphus, but much more fun and productive!

Mutterings from Maryville said...

giggle