Monday, September 30, 2013

Blotchy enjoying his morning sun


 Just a few pics I took yesterday morning of my male alpine blotched blue tongues enjoying a sunbake on the log in the enclosure she shares with another girl (I hope). I'm hoping to get a boy in time for next spring so they can breed. (OK so since I wrote this last week I have confirmed the sex of this lizard is male. I am hoping the other lizard is female - she has lots of bite marks on her back at the moment which indicates hopefully that this lizard in the pic has been mating with her. However, it could be that the other lizard is also male and that they have been fighting. I hope this is not the case). Both lizards are beautifully marked - this one with pink blotches and the other has yellowy blotches.
 Lovely lizards, very friendly and great to watch as they shovel nose first through the leaf litter on the floor of their enclosure.
I really hadn't thought they would venture up on top of this log...I scolded myself for not sinking it deeper into the ground when I set up the enclosure back in May, but I needn't have worried. Both girls climb up and over the log with graceful fluidity.

No comments: