Sunday, October 26, 2014

New York II


 Our friends from Newcastle, Bill and Andrew, aka, Mr and Mrs White Trash, had introduced us on our first night in New York to the pleasures of the Boots and Saddle Bar, which was a few minutes stroll up Christopher Street from where we were staying. Miss Holly Day performed there on Monday nights and she was fabulousssssss.
 Our good friend, Micke, who is in between Steve and me, joined us in New York, with his partner, Bryce.  Mike and Bryce live in Kansas City, Missouri, and Mike has stayed with us at Larnook a couple of times. Here we are enjoying the fabulous High Line.
 I celebrated my birthday in NYC. This was my birthday lunch - check out the size of those frozen Margueritas!
 Later that night, after we'd seen The Book of Mormon, we headed back to our fave night spot, Don't Tell Mamma, where one of the wait staff who perform there, sang me (and two others) Happy Birthday, operatic style.
 We scaled the dizzying heights of the Empire State Building earlier in the afternoon.  A most auspicious way to celebrate a birthday.
 While we were in New York another friend, who I had never met, Andy, was going to be there as well, with his partner, Nigel.  Andy is Irish but lives in Sheffield. We had a fabulous night eating the best meal we had in NYC at the Don't Tell Mamma restaurant before adjourning to the piano bar for more drinks. Andy and I had met online about 15 years ago.  I'm a little drunk and Andy looks a little uncomfortable, don't you think?
 Steve, Nigel (who is a vet) and me at Don't Tell Mamma.
 We met this lovely couple who were sitting next to me but alas I have forgotten their names. They bought us drinks and joined in with us laughing and skylarking as we do.
 Waiting for the show to start.
My bro, Brett, had told us we really needed to see Les Mis while we were in New York, if only to see the latest Jean Valjean, the rather handsome and very talented, Ramin Karimloo. So we did. After the show, we did what we never do, and that was wait at stage door for the cast to come out.  I decided to see if I could get my program signed by Ramin for Brett, which he kindly did. But then I thought, as he worked his way down the line of fans, that I would wait for him at the very end and ask him if he would pose for a selfie for me as well. I was as nervous as all get out...

No comments: