Sunday, September 13, 2009

In praise of the loquat

When we lived in Maryville, Newcastle, the neighbours had a loquat tree which grew on the fence that formd the boundary with our place and consequently many loquat fruit fell on our side of the fence and rotted. They rotted because we didn't ever consider eating them.
However, now that I have tasted loquat fruit from our tree up here in Larnook, I curse my stupidity over all those squandered loquat moments that lay decomposing on the ground. Loquats are delicious. They are full of juice and the orange pulp is sweet with a slight tang. They are one of my favourite fruit. Our tree has been fruiting for the past month but it was only last week that I actually picked some off to try. The birds of course have been gorging themselves so it's only the occasional fruit that they haven't managed to find that is available to us. It's such a great feeling to wander around your yard and pick fresh strawberries, mulberries, tangellos and loquat. I can't wait till all our fruit trees start producing in a few years time.

No comments: