Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A weird wildlife afternoon

As we were driving home yesterday afternoon, about 5 minutes from the turnoff to our place, we noticed a carpet python on the road. My eyes had drifted from the road to the paddocks on the right hand side, so I had to swerve a little to avoid hitting it. I pulled up and ran back to it with the intention of encouraging it back off the road when it lunged at me with mouth wide. And it was then I noticed it was bleeding from the mouth. %$*& I must have hit it after all. So I caught it and Steve drove the rest of the way home while I held the python with its bleeding mouth in a woolies green bag.
And what did we see sliding across the road just over our bridge - another carpet python! Two in 5 minutes is damned good going! This one was fine and we stopped the car and waited until it had disappeared into the bush. Once home I range WIRES who told me they would ring back later once they had contacted their reptile person. In the meantime I placed the python in a cupboard we have on the front deck. It had settled down by this stage and was no longer bleeding. It had no visible signs of injury and wasn't behaving as if it was hurt.
Then Vin came out to say he thought he could see dingoes on our paddock opposite the house. So out we went and there was a pack of four, maybe five dogs, and some looked like they might have had some dingo in them. They looked like they were hunting and it was a weird feeling to see this mob of large predators on the hunt. They were unlikely to be pet dogs going for a romp with their mates, these guys looked like they were mean and tough and lived in the bush. We put the chain on the chookery last night.
I didn't ever get a call back from WIRES so this morning I checked the python out. It seemed fine, was coiled up in a relaxed python way, was not bleeding, had a clean tongue, so I released it near our creek. Go well, python, and stay away from roads. No sign of the dogs or any dead wallabies.

No comments: