Monday, December 7, 2009

An arvie swim

It was another hot day. The NBN weather man said it had been 38 in Limsore and so was probably about 40 out here at Larnook. For those of you who live in Newcastle, Larnook is positioned about the same distance from the ocean as Singleton. But Larnook is prettier. Much prettier. And we don't have coal mines.
Anyway, so it was still real hot when we arrived home at about 5.00pm. Martins had been wheel barrowing loads of dirt from Ground Zero today until the tyre on the wheelbarrow got a puncture. "Exploded" to quote Martins. He then spent the rest of the day watering plantings. He had done half the plants down by the creek but had taken some time out.
When we arrived home he was about to return. So I joined him and together we filled buckets of cool water from Leycester Creek and watered the remaining 20 or so plants. When we finished I decided to have a swim. I stripped off to nothing, feeling that fleeting feeling of exhileration of being completely naked outside. How naughty. I walked a few steps into the water, treading in soft. clean sand before falling into the water.
The coolness of the creek swallowed me and I felt as if I weighed nothing. I slid further into the deeper water until I could barely stand on the rocks below. My body felt like it was sensing like it hadn't been sensing. I felt slightly warmer and slightly cooler currents against my skin as I swam leisurely across to some rocks that jut up out of the creek. Turtles and little pied cormorants rest here as well. I felt refreshed. I felt alive. I felt like a kid again. And this was at my place. Skinny dipping in a cool creek. After work. At home. Bliss.

No comments: