Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Bandy Bandy on Cawongla Road

Pic: Google Images
I spent the past three days up at the Gold Coast for work, staying at Twin Towns Resort at Tweed Heads. My final task was to present some awards at the Gold Coast Institute of TAFE's Graduation at the GC Covention and Exhibition Centre last night. I haven't seen so many big heels and short dresses. Anyway, that ended at 7.30 and I picked up our friend Andy (who had come up for a couple of days to set up our new iMac and assorted bits and pieces) from GC airoport and drove home via Murwillumbah and Uki.
We were hirtling along Cawongla Road at about 10.00pm last night when the black and white bands of a bandy bandy appeared on the road. I turned around and walked up to it and it took off much more quickly than I had assumed this species can travel. Anyway, I managed to pick it up and have a closer look before letting it slide effortlessly through the grass and off into the night. The black and white banding creates this amazing blur when the snake is sliding away so as to avoid getting eaten. Great find - it was my first bandy bandy in the wild.

1 comment:

barvasfiend said...

That is seriously cool.