Sunday, July 8, 2012

It seems I have a large black cock

I had been noticing, lately, that the black 'hens' that I purchased back in April were starting to butch up a bit, but I really hadn't paid too much attention. However, Julia (aka Shane) pointed out the obvious to me when he was down here last week with cub. 'Claire (that's me) I think one of your black hens is a cock, a rooster'. Hmmm, this could be a problem. We really don't want another rooster. What to do? What to do?

Well, one thing we won't be doing is dumping our unwanted black cock in this park at Murwillumbah. 'Cock-dumping' is a practice with which I was naively unfamiliar until I moved up to the northern rivers, but it takes place with alarming frequency. This particular park, (which bears the name Bruce Chick Park - oh come on!) is sometimes full of big angry roosters all trying their hardest to be the top dog (so to speak - apologies for mixing my animalian metaphors). The sign tells people not to dump their unwanted animals here because of a rare native snail that also lives here. Somehow I doubt that information will dissuade your average cock dumper from, well, dumping their unwanted cocks. 'Rare snail.....oh pulease' they will chortle as they liberate yet another unloved leghorn from the chaff bag.

5 comments:

Dr. Mieke said...

What breed is it Kevin? I might be able to take it in the Spring ...

Mutterings from Maryville said...

hmm don't really know, Mieke....but you can have it if you want it

Louise said...

Best. Title. Ever. The sign is interesting though. We have so many foxes around here dumped chickens would not last all that long.

Mutterings from Maryville said...

lol, thanks Louise! I thought it was a little edgy :-)

Dr. Mieke said...

A good and subtle (or maybe not so subtle) pun :-D