Sunday, October 14, 2012

Sunday, lovely Sunday

 Today was one of those lovely days where you get everything you want to get done, done, and in beautiful weather. Steve has been away in Newcastle this weekend attending the 35th anniversary party of Metropolitan Players, the theatre group he has long been involved with. He's also agreed to do costume design for their production of Phantom of the Opera next year, so he was also going to do some preliminary stuff for that. So I've been pottering around the place, mowing this, cutting back that, that kind of thing. I rodgered the bottom paddocks yesterday, which I always find satisfying, and today I tackled the area down by the creek. As you can see in the pic above, the grass and weeds had started to get away, and so I have myself two hours to whip this into shape.
 And after just one hour and a bit I had it back looking like this. Very happy with myself - so happy that I had to repeat the photo in this posting (it was a mistake which I can't seem to rectify).
 Anyway, it was hot and sweaty work, and pushing (or more correctly, pulling) the lawn mower (yes the creek has to be mown with a push mower) up the paddock is a bit of a hard slog.
I took a walk up over the bridge up Martin's Road to where it meets Cawongla Road this afternoon and found this female water dragon laying her eggs right by the side of the road. I hope the littlies head the right way when they hatch, otherwise their first outing might be their last. I thought to myself how dry the soil was that she was laying in and how careful you have to be if you are trying to incubate reptile eggs yourself - temperature and humidity must be kept within a fairly narrow range - and yet this female decided that this would be suitable. But I have to wonder if she could tell that we were likely to get a storm later on which would moisten the soil and assist the eggs in their incubation.

2 comments:

Louise said...

OMG How do you just happen on such an event as an egg laying water dragon? And how do you have your camera ready?

Mutterings from Maryville said...

[giggle] well it was my iPhone...and I was just very lucky dear......like when you stumble upon some gorgeous bird of some kind...