Wednesday, November 20, 2013

an early (white) xmas


 As we approached our place, about five minutes away, we suddenly encountered hail coating the paddocks and leaves, branches and other debris covering the road. I had not a minute or so remarked to Steve that the car's thermometer must not be working because when we had left Lismore it was 31 degrees and nearing our place it said it was just 15 degrees. Now that could not have possibly been correct. Well it was. The strip between Cawongla and Larnook school had just suffered a severe hail storm.
 When we drove in through the gate and looked to the right, this is what we saw. Hail covering the lawns and the gardens. It really looked like snow.
 This is just a random sample of the hail and as you can see, there was some fair sized hail stones amongst it.
 Say no more.
Luckily we didn't cop any serious damage but our plantings and gardens have taken a battering including what was a beautiful crop of basil that was powering along. I'd also planted (well Julia had actually) some heirloom cherry tomato varieties between the basil plants. As you can see, they got shredded. We copped another major hail storm the following day, the Monday, while we were at work, and these poor plants are now pretty much beyond salvaging I think.
So we ended up copping four hail storms, from Friday through to Monday. That's a lot of hail. And more are expected this coming weekend, unfortunately.

3 comments:

. said...

Glad your livestock is okay. I wish I'd thought of that early white xmas line lol.

We got a tiny bit of hail the day before the storm. I took a photo of a few hail stones, thinking it looked impressive. Ha! The next day literally tons of hail dropped around Blue Knob Road. The dog and I had just excavated ourselves from under the doona (where she hides during lightening storms, I thought I'd join her this time, it was that bad) when Robin arrived home.

I walked out of the house to greet Robin and swore - the temperature had dropped exactly as you noted. I asked if if he was okay. I know now he was looking around for hail - there was none. Still without a word he showed me the photos he'd taken two km down the road. I leapt back into the car and we went back and took more photos.

I've been through a lot of snow and hail around the planet but I have never seen anything like what was dumped on the farms near us. Some was still on the road edges two days later, after days of 30 degree heat!

The other thing that fascinated me was the shredding of greenery over the roads, car tops etc. You can see it on your driveway photo.

Anyway, good to know we all got through it, this time!

Jeni
Northern Rivers Dreaming
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Northern-Rivers-Dreaming/321272667962109

Mutterings from Maryville said...

yeah it was pretty amazing, Jeni. We have quite a few of our plants in our gardens which have had their leaves shredded.
And the bureau is forecasting the possibility of more building up this weekend. Let's hope not.
Thanks for your comments by the way...I enjoy reading responses to my posts.

Mutterings from Maryville said...

yeah it was pretty amazing, Jeni. We have quite a few of our plants in our gardens which have had their leaves shredded.
And the bureau is forecasting the possibility of more building up this weekend. Let's hope not.
Thanks for your comments by the way...I enjoy reading responses to my posts.