Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Fish pond clean out


 This was a big job. The pond had not been cleaned for some time and the amount of algae and scum was disgusting. From go to wo it took the best part of a weekend, although much of that was just draining the water. I'd caught the 40 or so white cloud mountain minnows over the preceding few days and then I syphoned out the water. Thank the lord for high pressure water hose thingies, I say. It would have taken forever to have scrubbed the algae off the sides by hand and to have cleaned the scum off the pebbles but with our trusty Kartcha, I blasted the algae and scum clean right off. If you enlarge the pic above you can see what the un-blasted parts of the pond walls looked like - that was what the walls looked like all over.
 Once the gravel was cleaned, bucket load by bucket load it was put back in and the filter and fountain placed back in and the pond filled.
And there we have it. One nicely cleaned pond!  And that has just reminded me that I need to add the barley straw compound to it tomorrow to try and keep it that way!

No comments: