Sunday, May 17, 2015

Going for a big walk

 I'd been waiting for the perfect morning to do this walk and last Sunday morning proved to be that day. With the cooperation of Steve who drove down to the end of the walk in one car, and me in the other, so I could leave one car at the end to come home in, I set off at the intersection of Sargents Road with Kyogle Road, about 8 minutes from our place. We had driven the entire length before several times, and my guess was that it was somewhere between 15 and 20kms long.

This is a photo essay over three postings of the walk.  It filled me with so much pleasure and joy and I intend to walk a number of these within the Rock Valley and Cawongla areas over the coming months. I sill share them with you through the blog.
 Not far into the walk and I get to admire this fabulous pole house which has spectacular views towards Blue Knob and Wollumbin. If we ever win lotto and this property becomes available we'll buy it and rent it out as a holiday rental (and stay there sometimes ourselves).
 Wonderful views over towards the Billen Cliffs from a westerly aspect. Our place is in the far right quarter of the pic, somewhere
 also looking back down Rock Valley to the right of the cliffs, which we drive each day we motor on down to work.
 Remnants of the forests that once covered the landscape still exist: this a very large brush box
 After about five kilometres the road faces more of a northwesterly aspect and great fields of green and golden grass dominate, with forested mountain ranges in the background, creating a lush and beautiful landscape.  The volcanic plugs and spires of several Queensland mountains can be seen in the distance. If taipans existed in the northern rivers region this is the kind of place they might like.
 Another remnant of times past - a solitary hoop pine.
 The morning was so sunny and still.  I began the walk at about 9am and the air was still cool. But after an hour of walking my jumper came off and I was very glad I had taken a hat with me. This shot is looking down towards Kyogle.
And another view towards the fascinating and spectacularly rugged ranges just over the border into Queensland.

No comments: