Monday, November 17, 2008

Pumping all night

Underneath our bedroom live two Onga waterpumps, similar to this one. One pumps water from our rainwater tank to the house and the other pumps water from another tank filled with bore water for our gardens. We've had pump problems since moving in: we've replaced one and replaced the air tank twice on another. It costs us $80.00 each time the pump man drives his white ute up to our place from Lismore. It's not an inexpensive business having two pumps.

Last night the water pump that is connected to the bore tank came on relentlessly every 30 seconds. I know because I timed the intervals. Every 30 seconds for about 20 seconds of pump noise. All through the night. Until, at 5.00am, when Steve asked me (yes we were both awake) 'Are you sure you don't have any taps on?'. 'Freaking hell' I thought, 'I hadn't turned the hose off since yesterday morning at 6.30 when I gave fresh water to the chooks. I dashed out of bed and turned the hose off. No more pump noise.

No comments: