Monday, May 18, 2009

Making a new garden

The weekend was perfect up here, so after we'd been to Kyogle for our fruit and veges I got stuck into shovelling the big heap of soil we'd had delivered and barrowing it over to the stand of pines where I wanted to create a new garden for azealeas and rhododendrons. By the way, that beautiful tree behind me is a longan tree which is a close relative of the lychee and produces very similar, sweet fruit around April. On a hot summer's day one fo the coolest places on the ranch is underneath that tree.
After several hours lugging the soil over, I built up the garden area. I could have done with twice as much soil, but we already spent $350.00 on this lot.

Once I'd raked the soil and got my levels, I then spent most of Sunday morning carting wheelbarrow loads of pine mulch to lay over the soil and around the plants that we've already got growing there.


This is how it looked by midday Sunday. Nowe we just need to go to a nursery and buy some more plants to fill it up.



There's now a nice little pathway in between the avenue of pines, where we'll place a garden seat. Over time the garden on both sides will be thick and interesting with all kinds of interesting plants. The structure at the back is our chookery where our gorgeous girls live.




No comments: