Saturday, May 22, 2010

A native lime

Until moving up here I was unaware that we had a native lime (yes a citrus species) that grows naturally from about Lismore northwards, called finger lime. The green variety is the most common but you also get them in reds and oranges. They are tangy and look fantastic when the pulp (which looks like caviar) is squeezed out from the fruit. I am thinking of buying about 15 plants and seeing of I can grow them for a bit of extra money. I have found quite a good area on the property that just might be excellent finger lime country.

2 comments:

Louise said...

I've heard of them and seen them in magazines, but have never had the pleasure of trying any as yet. Do you use them just like you would regular lime?

Mutterings from Maryville said...

yep, you do....inside they are full of little capsules of juice..you can squeeze it out like caviar...