Sunday, May 9, 2010

Reptile and Frog Expo, Sydney Showground

The hobby of keeping reptiles and frogs (herpetoculture) is a fast growing one in Australia and annual 'expos' are becoming popular ways of showcasing and selling these amazing critters. This trend follows what happens in the US where tens of thousands of people flock to these snake-fests. So I went along to the expo held over the ANZAC long weekend in Sydney.
Lots of reptiles on display, lots of reptiles and frogs for sale, and of course all the things that go along with keeping your reptiles healthy, including frozen rats and mice. I think there's a lot of money in frozen rodents an so too, does this outfit, Crittersnax. I was thinking of starting my own business and called it 'Snakebites'. The problem I kept running into back in Newcastle was lack of space. Hmmm and now I have 16 acres...
One exhibitor with lots and lots of snakes and lizards for sale including, on the bottom, some shingleback lizards and several baby black headed pythons and some magnificent green pythons up the top towards the left of shot. Green pythons sold for $10k just a few years ago but now that more people are breeding them, the price has plummeted to under $2k. I might just get one one day soon. Reptile economics is fascinating. Anyway, after I spent a few hours wandering around marvelling at all the reptiles, I walked out, empty handed.

No comments: