Thursday, April 29, 2010

The untimely demise of a chook

Shane, Steve and I had just finished dinner last night when we heard one of the chooks cackling in that 'I'm trying to squeeze out an egg that can't possibly leave my body in one piece' kind of way, which rang alarm bells with us because they never squawk like that at night. Shane headed out to the verandah and noticed his dog, Bluey, wasn't where he should have been. I think you can do the math.
I had inadvertently left one of the girls out after locking what I thought was everyone back in the chookery last evening. Blue had gone down and found her and well, did what moderately sized carnivores have evolved to do. I think we all felt sad that one of the girls met her end like this. The goodness in her body will be unlocked as she decomposes under our banana palm.

1 comment:

Louise said...

Nature even in the backyard can be cruel. If I had a drink in front of me then I'd raise my glass to the untimely death of one of your girls.