Monday, April 26, 2010

Terrific Long Weekend - my 2 year Northern Rivers anniversary

We've had a fantastic long weekend which also marks my 2 year anniversary here in Northern Rivers. As I mention below, our friend Warwick spent it with us and we began with a dinner party on Friday night with Stewart and Matt from the Jiggi Valley. I cooked a massaman curry in the slow cooker and Steve created his delicious bannofi pie. I'll have to put the recipe up for that at some stage, though there are plenty you can google. Anyway, then we had dinner at Mavis' Kitchen on Saturday night with Glen and another recent arrival up here, Damion, who has recently been appointed as an ecologist with Lismore Council. OK I'd better talk about the pic above: I spent time over the weekend weeding, digging around, manuring and mulching all of our fruit trees and they now look great with their grass skirts protecting them from the drying sun.
We headed over to Bangalow Market on Sunday (which has become a bit of a tradition for me on this weekend - my first visit was after I had taken Steve to the airport on my first weekend up here and then I took the German boys, Andre and Ollie there last year on the same weekend). After cruising around the market we headed over to a wonderful cafe called Harvest at a place called Newrybar. Fresh oysters, porterhouse steak sandwich washed down with beers and rose...yummo. When we came home I continued doing some outside work while Steve and Warwick baked a delisciously moist orange and banana cake. We then watched the sunset from the spa with a few glasses of moscato. Now to the image above: Steve spent much of Monday carefully cleaning up the edges of our rather long driveway. They look better than they have ever looked.
And as the sun sank low in the sky we watched these three red necked wallabies grazing on the freshly mown lawn. This shot was taken from the back verandah. It truly is lovely to end the day with these visitors.
This fellow has one of the reddest rumps I've seen on this type of wallaby.Very special, boy.

2 comments:

Louise said...

Congratulations on the 2 year anniversary- It's gone so quickly. Glad to hear the champers was flowing, it's only appropriate.

Dr. Mieke said...

Happy anniversary!! I'm very glad you both came to the Northern Rivers, it's a richer place as a result...