Saturday, April 10, 2010

Bloody hell

I knew that the creek area had grown out of control over the past month but wow, I wasn't expecting this when I pushed the lawn mower down the hill and onto the creekside this morning around 7.45am. It was just a jungle - without all the nice jungle things like big rainforest trees and ferns and stuff.
Just a thick, dense mini-jungle of weeds and grasses. All the hard work of Shane, Steve and I over the past twelve months had been kinda obliterated by all of this wicked weed growth. Whereas we had a nice 'lawn' with a variety of young trees and shrubs growing in it, I now had an absolute mess.
But I fired up our trusty Rover mower and went to work. It was bloody hard work though as I could only push my way in to about a metre or so and then had to remow a couple of times because there were quite a lot of fibrous cm thick weeds about a metre tall that took a bit of effort to remove.
And, after 4 hrs this morning it was looking like this again - though it will need to be mown at a closer cut next weekend. I'm also hoping Shane might be down soon so he can work his magic with the brush cutter.
If you are thinking of buying a new lawn mower, I would have to recommend a Rover. They are brilliant workhorses. Nothing fazes them, although Rove tends to be a little smoky after a while...lordie knows what toxic fumes I have been breathing in this morning.

2 comments:

FROGHOLLOW-OUR-HOME said...

I wish i could get myu blog to look like this, i tried, now i have 2 scabby blogs and i wanted it called froghollow, but i have two with different names, both scabby

Dr. Mieke said...

Wow! Extreme creek frontage makeover! That must have taken so much work -- I know how hard it is working such steep and weed-infested terrain... Well done! And at least next time the weeds will not come back so quickly.