Monday, April 26, 2010

Delectable (home-grown) guava

I'd never eaten a guava until this afternoon. I'd drunk guava juice before but this was the first time I'd eaten one. And they are delectably delicious! We have a large guava shrub growing on our fenceline and it's now in fruit and I had noticed a few ripe ones on it the other day. So this afternoon I picked a few nice looking yellow ones and ate a couple of them.
The flesh is pink and a little creamy with quite a few seeds. It's fantastic to sample fruit that grows on your own land.
Beautiful reddy-pink flesh and quite juicy too. We have planted about 5 varieties of guava over the past year or so and hopefully they will start fruiting in the next 12-18 months. I'm keen to grow finger-limes too in some quantity as their fruit is quite expensive. We have one that I put in shortly after buying here but it still is some way from fruiting I think.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

They do look lovely. Unfortunately we can't leave guavas to ripen. In Sep 12 it was the squirrels and now it is the bats.
LOL.
Guavas are not for bats