Saturday, July 31, 2010

Grevillea madness

One of the great things about having so much land is that we get to grow lots of plants and to grow lots of species and cultivars of the one type of plant. I'm show casing some of our Grevillea range this week. The plant above is a Grevillea Robyn Gordon which the lorikeets love.
This one is coastal gem I think it's called...it has these wonderful comb-like flowers and is just starting to break into flower now.
This one is exquisite and the photo doesn't do it justice. It's actually growing on the roadside verge in front of our fence and I don't know what it is.
And these two shots are of a cultivar called coconut ice and I think you can see why. We have a stack more which are not yet in flower. It's fantastic to build up these collections of natives like Grevilleas, Banskias, Callistemons etc - not only do they look fabulous but the nectar eating birds love 'em too.

2 comments:

Louise said...

Beautiful pictures there for a Sunday morning. I love that coconut ice one. I don't think I've seen that before. For some reason the fact that the Grevillea Robyn Gordon is particularly bad for contact skin allergies sticks in my mind. It's pretty though. What is happening with your book?

Mutterings from Maryville said...

oh ok, hadn't heard that Dr Louise.....um we sent the index back to the editor the middle of last week so now that pretty well finishes it from my point of view....once the final copy and design is finalised which should be in the next two weeks it goes off to be printed..and as far as I know they are still looking at October sometime for it to be available. How's all with you my dear?