Friday, November 25, 2011

A visit to see some snakes

Cal came down with me to Coffs Harbour for a couple of days earlier in the week. I had meetings at our Coffs campus, so while I was at work, Cal swam, and explored the town. On the Tuesday afternoon, we visited a friend of mine, Steve McEwan, who features in a chapter in my book, Snake Bitten (and what a great xmas present that would make - buy it online through Amazon.com)...anyway, Steve was very generous and took us into his reptile 'shed' where Cal met his beautiful animals including this lovely black-headed python (a close relative of the woma)
as well as some rather more toxic species such as this lovely female western taipan (probably has the deadliest venom of any snake anywhere)
the largest and thickest eastern brown snake I've ever seen...
and this magnificent animal, a Collett's snake (a relative of the red bellied black)...this surely is one of the most attractively coloured of Australia's snakes and this one was placid and gentle
what an absolute beauty....I think I'd like to have one....

No comments: