Friday, November 25, 2011

Woo hoo...another roughie...this time nice and alive

Again, click on each pic to enlarge. Cal and I went out on Wednesday night to see if we could find a snake or two...we were out for about 10 minutes only before coming across this rough scaled snake crossing mcGuinness Road down near Julia's Little Creek. We couldn't believe our luck!
Absolutely beautiful animal, which I grabbed for a couple of minutes so Cal could take some pics and get a better look. It's the first live one I have seen in the bush for over 25 years!
They are mainly a frog-eater so I'm surprised they haven't gone the way of the red bellied black snake around here and died out because of the toads. Hopefully there is a nice healthy population of them on our place and surrounds. And yes, I am in my pyjama pants.

3 comments:

Andy said...

Yes i remember the last time you saw one 25 years ago cause I was there!

Mutterings from Maryville said...

lol, that's right my man, you were! How fab that you remembered that!!!

Erica said...

glad you said that about your pants, Kev, 'cause was wondering about the combo :) lol...But one must take the opportunity to grab a rough scale whenever one is presented with it. BTW - I'm impressed you picked up roughy - they scare me a tad. I think we've had a few of them lately near the house. E...