Thursday, February 2, 2012

A beautiful moment. Then destroyed.

I often stroll down McGuinness Road, over the bridge and then up to where Martin's Road comes off Cawongla Road when I want to think, reflect, get really deep into myself or just take a relaxing walk. I did just that this afternoon about 5.30 or so, and it was just perfect. The afternoon was warm, but with a slight breeze and the sky was grey, but not depressingly so.
As I reached the garbage dumpster we share with our neighbours, Pete and Cheryl, I noticed a young galah standing on the grass in front of it. I slowed my walking right down and crouched down and was able to get to within a couple of feet of it. I admired the greys and pinks that make up its feathers while it looked at me with a quizzical eye. Because I was literally right next to it, I decided that it must have been injured, and, if it had been, it would have ended up dying. So I slowly and gently brought my hand down to hold it around its wings, when it gave a defiant screech and flew away. Elegantly and powerfully.
If I hadn't tried to catch it, I could have sat with it for a while, enjoying the close proximity between bird and beast. But I didn't. And in the action that followed that decision, I destroyed a precious, beautiful, moment.
A lesson, I think.

1 comment:

David Once of Newcastle said...

A shame, but don't beat up on yourself Kevin - your motive was pure!