Saturday, February 25, 2012

Cairns Part I

Last week I accompanied a group of people from the Tokyo Geographical Society to Cairns where my role was to add to or enhance their experience by providing more information on some kind of phenomenon or a bird/plant/snake identification. The language barrier was difficult as was my lack of local knowledge which became obvious when I was asked to name plants that I'd never seen before. Cal came along as well and it was a great opportunity for him to see far north Queensland.
The first day was spent walking in the rainforest of Barren Gorge National Park, with the photo above showing the Barron River. A beautiful place.
After a tasty lunch at Mossman we then boarded a small boat on the Daintree River in search of crocs and other wildlife. Here I am pointing out the importance of being croc-wise (which makes a change from my usual wisdom).
Cal in relaxed mood en route to the croc nursery...
and here is one of the five crocs we saw that afternoon...only four days old and sunning itself on the branches of this low hanging native hibiscus. Mum was around of course but we didn't see her though another vessel did shortly after we had left the area.

No comments: