Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I get my eyes read

Steve, Cal and I spent a few hours at the always fabulous and interesting Channon Market on Sunday. It's such great fun, always amazing stuff to look at and buy, and it's a fantastic spot for people-watching. Steve stocked up on his goats' milk soaps from his favourite supplier, and Cal bought himself a hat, oh and a cake of goats' milk soap, as well.
I was intrigued by a tall African man who had a white full face kinda Phantom of the Opera mask on, who was charging $2.00 to read your eyes. He was doing quite good business and I decided I'd get mine read.
I found the experience of gazing into his eyes, defined entirely by the whiteness of his mask, incredibly comforting - it almost felt like I was surrendering to him (which is very unlike me). We remained like this with our eyes connected for a couple of minutes and then he wrote his message on a little square piece of paper.

"Nature loves you deeply
Smile to life
Your spirit is eternal

Don' t lose the faith in the magic and
In the beauty of Life"

I was a little disappointed when I first read what he had written, I guess I was hoping for something a little more specific ('the winning lotto numbers will be...' but, on reflection, I like what he wrote, I still think they are nice words. And I did experience a moment of transcendence when I was looking into his eyes.

No comments: