Sunday, September 2, 2012

Sweet smells of spring

Well 'smells's really isn't the best word, but I do love my alliteration. Spring has certainly arrived here at Larnook and the air is heavy with all kinds of sweet scents (agh I could have replaced 'smells' for 'scents'). The lemon, tangello and lime trees are giving off the most beautiful sweet perfume which transports me back to a place in southern Portugal called Lagos where my friends and I arrived at a time when the air was saturated with the fragrance from hundreds of orange trees. Even though dissections of the human brain show that we are highly dependent on vision, smells are such evocative reminders of times past, aren't they?  I can still recall the 'plasticy' smell of my first school tuperware lunch box...anyhow I am digressing.
So, apart from the citrus in blossom and filling the air, the port wine magnolia is also in flower. This bright green tree is covered in small flowers which are filled with a very sweet, 'port' like fragrance and is especially noticeable just on still evenings. At the entry, a beautiful jasmine has lazily draped itself over fences and other shrubs and is now a cascade of unbelievably beautifully sweet smelling flowers. I come close to swooning when I breathe in the fragrence - it is so intoxicating. As I said a few postings ago, lots of grevilleas are in flower, but of course they don't have a fragrance that can be detected by humans, at least. Our mango trees are also covered in flowers. It could well be a bumper mango season as it was a couple of years ago. We have experienced the same dry winter and spring looks like it could be quite dry as well. Last year we got no fruit off the trees, while the year before we were soaking in mangos.

No comments: