Sunday, July 7, 2013

A Venomous Melbourne Trip


My colleague from University of Newcastle. who I research and write with, Nancy Cushing, and I, contributed a couple of essays to the catalogue accompanying an exhibition titled Venom: Fear, Fascination and Discovery, which is at the Medical Museum of University of Melbourne. The official launch of the catalogue, which is really a lavish book, took place a couple of weeks ago (yeah apologies for my tardy blogging) and, very unlike me, I decided to accept the invitation, book my flights, book my accommodation and go.
 Gee I'm glad I did. It was a really wonderful couple of days. The launch of the catalogue was wonderful and included a public lecture on aspects of the history of snake venom and antivenom research. I loved being in a lecture theatre at the Universrity of Melbourne, enjoying a lecture on a topic I'm very interested in. It was brilliant. I stayed in a very nice apartment on Lygon Street and, yeah it was just brilliant from go to wo.
 The following day I visited Melbourne Zoo, where I had a meeting about some possible research in the reptile house, and fingers crossed that will come to something. Prior to the meeting I enjoyed spending an hour or so looking at the reptile exhibits.
 I was intrigued by how little kids now 'stamp collect' images either using their smart phone or their tablet. I don't think I saw any of these kids use an actual camera!
The weather was simply stunning on the Tuesday as I walked from the Zoo back to Melbourne Uni and then down into the CBD where I caught a taxi to Prahran where I spent an hour or so rummaging along the shelves of Andrew Isles Natural History Bookshop. And yes, I bought a few books!

No comments: