Saturday, March 24, 2012

Aloha

I recently spent 5 days on the Hawaiian island of Oahu visiting my friend, Rob, who is studying over there until May. I got back last Tuesday evening. This was my first trip and I had a great time. Behind Rob is the coral reef formation of Hanauma Bay, about a 40 minute bus ride from Waikiki where we were staying. We enjoyed the snorkelling and saw some beautiful fish, including some brightly coloured parrot fish, foraging amongst the coral. I giggled at the shuttle bus available for people to get from the top down to the beach - 75 cents down and $1 back up. We managed to see a mongoose, as well, flitting between the gardens, no doubt doing its feral best to scavenge for left overs.
We also visited Pearl Harbour which was impressive and interesting, and, as a visitor attraction, extremely well designed, as I thought it would be. We took a boat out to the USS Arizona Memorial (where most of the 1100 or so crew remain entombed in the warship which is clearly visible under the memorial) and we also took a look at the Bowfin Submarine which is where we took the pic above. It would be a very crowded existence to have been a sailor on this submarine.
Rob in front of an interpretive panel at one of the museums on the Pearl Harbour site.
We celebrated my last night in Waikiki with a pretty delicious dinner at Azure Restaurant located in the Royal Hawaiian Hotel which is the gorgeous pink building behind Rob. Azure was just off to the right of the pic. Really lovely night, beautiful food and wines (and great company, hey Robsta).
And, yep, that's right....spam is quite the popular food in Hawaii and you can even get spam flavoured macadamia nuts...yummo...not! So, a quick but enjoyable and interesting trip: snorkelling coral reefs; climbed a crater - a very, very, very steep crater; visited Pearl Harbour; and even bumped into friends of Steve's and mine from Newcastle, Kerry and Charlie...three times, in fact...who would have thought....

2 comments:

Louise said...

OMG Spam flavoured macadamias? NO WAY. I see it has "classic flavour" written on in the smaller print. Classic?I don't think so. It sounds like a great trip though.

Mutterings from Maryville said...

lol I know, I know....there were other spam-related food products - I think there was a spam hamburger...oh well different cultures like different things...and yeah, it was a great trip...