Friday, April 12, 2013

Brush turkey baby investigates Larnook


                                                      source of image: ozanimals.com
As I was turning into the driveway a few weeks ago I noticed a small brown bird scuttle into the rainforest garden at our entry. It was too short and plump for a buff banded rail and so I wondered whether it might have been a baby brush turkey. But I had more important things to think about like what were we having for dinner and should I wait until 6pm before I open that bottle of chardonnay, and so promptly forgot all about it. That was until a few days later when the bubba bird was seen again scratching around the front garden at the entry to the house. This time it stayed much longer in view and I could definitely identify it as a baby brush turkey. Now I had mixed feelings about this. I was kinda stoked that this little baby had found its way here and was now part of the fauna, but did we really want a brush turkey setting up camp here, as they can be very destructive to gardens when they rake together huge mounds of vegetation and mulch. But such activity would be a year or two off I would think, and anything could happen in the meantime. Which, it appears, it has. We made quite a few sightings of the little bird over a period of about a week, but alas, it hasn't been seen now for a few weeks. This means it may have wandered away or it has ended up in the gut of some predator, such as one of our carpet pythons. It wouldn't have made much of an impression in the pythons we have seen lately around the place, and remember, we have snakes here that eat adult chooks. Let's hope that the little fella is scratching happily somewhere else in Larnook.

No comments: