Sunday, April 14, 2013

The Lizard Palace

 This is a bit of a dream come true. Not since my oh-so-tolerant parents allowed me to have a couple of fibro pits (yes I do have some concerns about spending much of my youth breathing in the asbestos fibres of my lizard pits, but a GP told me once that the asbestos used in the sheeting was not so troublesome, so I like to believe that) in which I kept blue tongues, land mullet, bearded dragons and freshwater turtles, have I had outdoor lizard enclosures. But with the forebearance of an amazing partner, Stevie, and the skill of Shane (not forgetting the involvement of Kevin and Antonin and Claire), I now have an almost complete set of three lizard enclosures that together make up my Lizard Palace.
 Shane was able to re-use the steel piping that we pulled out of the area that has now become the middle deck, and use it to create a frame onto which he and Claire riveted some lovely spanking new corrugated iron.
 Claire and Shane (and Bluey) proudly standing in front of their masterpiece. We still have to make it predator proof by attaching bird wire to it, but hopefully that should be done by the end of the week (it's off to Bunnings I go tomorrow after work).
And Claire and I did some landscaping this afternoon and created the first habitat - for my pair of blotched blue tongues which will be liberated into here once we have completed predator proofing it. I hope to get some other species of blue tongues (I already have my western blue tongue babies but they are too small to put in one of these enclosures just yet).

1 comment:

Dr. Mieke said...

That's awesome Kevin! How lovely to have your very own Lizard Palace. I'm sure they will be very happy to live there: you'll have hopefuls clamouring to come live there I should think.